Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hydrological Changes along the Tuul River

Objective:

I plan to study the hydrological changes along the Tuul River. I will survey various locations to observe several factors that contribute to the quality of the water in an attempt to target prime water pollutants.

Academic Interest:

As a Civil and Environmental Engineering student with a specific interest in geology, I want to understand how the natural hydrological and geological features are affected by human and animal activity. I want to discover what factors influence the quality of the water at specific locations, and observe any existing sanitation systems in the city of Ulaanbaatar. By studying Civil Engineering I realize the importance of being aware of the unique complexities in a water system, like Mongolia’s, in order to most efficiently plan, design, construct, and manage a water system to provide for the Mongolians.

Methodology:

I will begin my research by surveying for human interactions at each location along the river and consider the population, water usage, herd grazing, industry activity, existing sanitation facilities, and sewage. In addition to surveying and interviewing people I will take pictures, note Global Positioning System points, observe the geomorphology, and collect a small sample of water to analyze upon my return to the United States. At the University of Pittsburgh I am involved in the Department of Geology, and will be able to check the water samples for trace elements.

Expected results:

By sampling the water at various locations I hope to notice a difference in the locations above and below the capital city Ulaanbaatar, and above and below any mining sites. This will help separate effects on the water quality from mining and those of grazing. I hope that this project will help improve Mongolia’s water infrastructure or point to areas of study. Potable water is an absolute necessity for public health, not to mention its role in sanitation, agriculture, mining, and many other areas that enable a country to thrive.

No comments: